Tuesday 12 June 2012

Part Two: The Diaper Tricycle!

Hi Everyone,

With the recent popularity of diaper cakes, I decided to try one out myself. I didn't want to do a traditional cake shape and fell in love with a diaper motorcycle I had seen on Pinterest. Sorry, those cake shaped ones look too easy! I quickly realized that however cute a motorcycle would be it wasn't practical, it would constantly flop over onto it's side. So, I found a tutorial for an adorable Diaper Tricycle! Here's the link below:

http://southernfrieddreams.blogspot.ca/2011/03/diaper-tricycle-tutorial.html



I was lucky that I found a sale at Walmart for 100 Pampers for $29.99. I've only bought diapers one other time, so it seemed like a good deal. The majority of the supplies I picked up on clearance from Zellers, which if you ask me it wasn't cheap at all. They were practically full price and I didn't have any baby coupons. And the rest of the little items I couldn't find I also got from Walmart.


This was probably my most difficult task. Making the tires out of diapers honestly takes two people! I don't know how I managed it on my own. All the elastics I was using to hold them in place kept snapping because they were too small, but that was all I had. I'm glad I didn't take out an eye by accident. The tutorial called for 55 diapers, and since I had 100 I tried my best to use extra where I could and made the two back wheels larger. I used about 25 diapers for each wheel.

To hide the elastic, I used a really cute baby onesie ribbon and safety pinned the two edges together. Making sure not to pin any of the diapers.

This was also a bit difficult, having to thread the centre of the tires with a receiving blanket. The centre of the diapers would also try to slide out. Mine was no long enough when rolled horizontally, I had to roll it diagonally to get a few more inches I needed to fully wrap three large tires.

Once you get the blanket wrapped around all three tires you can pin it at the back. I wanted to have a more stable seat to put some stuff on. So I wrapped the exposed part of the blanket with more diapers, sort of making almost another tire out of it. Then I place a small stack of loose diapers on top as to give the seat more length. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of that!

I then placed the two bibs as if to make the seat and the front wheel cover. I wrapped a second receiving blanket around the front tire and elastic band the two sides as if to make the handles. I stuffed the bottle through for the headlight and threw on the two pair of hand mitts to cover the edges of the handles. You only need one, but it was cheaper to buy two sets! I also tied a nice bow with yellow ribbon to cover the ugly elastic.


And here's the finished product!

I had a couple extra receiving blankets and wanted to make an elephant to sit on the motorcycle but it just kept coming out all ugly. So, I went with a cute snail design instead. I believe I found the tutorial on eHow. It was really easy too!

I made a small regular diaper cake with the few remaining diapers I had left. I think ribbons make everything cuter!

Ta Da! All done!
It took me a good two hours or so to make this. Probably, longer than it should since it was my first attempt and I was improvising a lot of things to use up all the extra diapers.

I couldn't find a large enough bow for the box and was feeling very crafty! 
So, I made a two colour ribbon! This was actually a little difficult, since it was my first try too! You really need a good pair of scissors.

Here's the quilt all wrapped up! I forgot to take a picture of a children's box I bought from Ikea. It was really cute, it was shaped as a suitcase.

With the diaper box, I cut out one of the sides to make a carry case for my tricycle. It made carrying it to the baby shower so easy! I taped all the edges together so it was all snugged in and there was going to be no sliding around in the back trunk of the car. 

So, there you have it! A couple crafty projects, months in the making! Both very practical and oh so adorable!

Eros And Pookie


No comments:

Post a Comment