Friday 4 January 2013

Post Holiday Update Jan 3, 2013!

 Hi Guys,

I hope everyone had a chance to indulge themselves over the holidays! I know I surely did and pretty much still am until I go back to work next week! No chance for blogging during Decemeber, had my computer reformatted and everything. So, it's all spiffy and fast now! In today's blog, I'd like to show you my first and possibly last twenty-five pound turkey I made. I had a really interesting recipe from my boss and it was a real win. Sorry, I must of deleted it but it was pretty friggin' awesome!

Here's me putting the rub on "Big Bird" in the early morning!

About 8 hours later, "Big Bird" is all cooked and ready to eat. His arms are a little burnt, but I fold his wings the wrong way. Boo on me! The apricot jam really made the turkey super sweet and tasty. I kinda of wish I took more pictures now that I reflect on the day. Oh well, something to remember for next time!

For party favours, I made salted caramels from scratch! It tasted soooooo good! Goes great on everything from apples to pie to ice cream! Best part was that it was super easy to make! Worst part was that whipping cream is not cheap!


Here's what they looked like when it's all put together! Pretty huh?!

Children's Handmade Christmas Presents

As you guys probably remember, Winton's sister is a big Star Wars fan so I stuck to that theme this Christmas. Winton's cousin also had a baby recently as well too, who's a huge fan of Star Wars as well. So, I decided to make a project I saw on Pinterest! I wanted to make baby onesies with Yoda on them.

It was really hard to find the right kind of green and beige felt and surprisingly there isn't much of a selection on Queen Street. 

Starting to come together

I went to Walmart to buy plain onesies, which were really affordable. I hand stitched the felt, as well as the hand toy. So, this is what the finished product looks like. 


Funny, Winton just happened to buy something in this plastic packaging during the same Walmart trip. And I thought it would be cool to stick this in there so it would look like it came from a store!

Here's the other gift that I made for all the little boys and girls. I basically pumped out nine of these bad boys in a short period. The other three were two Star Wars patterns from my left over quilt material and one Superman pattern from the previous years crayon roll. 

This was really simple to make and super practical for parents. It's just a cotton pattern, white flannel for the back and some bias tape. 

 Here are the six girl baprons, forgot to take a picture of the boy's ones. 

 The finished product front. 

 Finished product back. There are two arm holes to slip into and it ties around the back. 

All the finished products. I love how changing the bias tape, changes the whole look of the bapron. This is the first time I used/discover bias tape and honestly it's really cool. They have nicer kinds and it makes the trim of your fabric really decorative. 

We went to No Frills this past week for our very non-chalant grocery trip. It was more for having some food available in the house since we seemed to be low on essentials. Which really was just junk food and snacks! There weren't any deals and with the holidays falling on the week days this year our work schedule at the club has been quite hectic. Let's see what we did manage to save on!

- Wonderful Pistachios $2.97 each and used $1 off coupons
- Iogo $5.99 and used 75 cent coupn
-  Maple Leaf Bacon $2.47
- Apple Pie $1.99
- Vinta Cracker $1.67
- Royale 6 box tissues $3.99 with $2 off coupon
- Blueberries $1.97 each pint
- Oranges $.77/lb


Eros and Pookie





No comments:

Post a Comment