Sunday 5 January 2014

Happy New Year!

Hi Everyone,

I hope you all had a great ending to 2013 and a good running start for 2014! I feel strangely tired and refreshed all at the same time! I've been keeping weird hours but I loved seeing friends and family during the holidays. But now it's time to face reality and gear myself up to head back to the office.

In total, I made three turkeys over the holidays! Thank goodness I got them all on sale! Sadly, the pre-made stuffing wasn't on sale too. They cost almost as much as the turkey themselves! I received this great turkey rub recipe from my boss that I loved, so I recreated it again this year. The secret to moist turkey is to stuff butter under the skin near the breast and cook them breast side down for about 1/3 of the time. The hard part is flipping over a super hot and heavy bird in the middle of cooking. I like to cover with foil so the top skin won't get too burnt and just remove when it's almost time to eat.


My raw turkeys

The butter!

I don't believe in buying fruit platters from the supermarket and prefer to pick and chop up my own fruit for my party. Why spend $20 on a fruit platter when you can spend much less and a few minutes of your own time to get 10 times the fruit. I'm also big on presentation and making stuff look as appetizing as it can be. 

 I also made fresh gingerbread cookies. Here is the slowest moving ingredient I've ever worked with! It took about 10 mins to get about 1/2 cup and cost me about 80 cents.


I'm so happy to now have a hand mixer! It makes life so much easier!

Using my cookie cutters for the first time! Everyone loved the Hello Kitty designs.

Tasty even without icing!

I also made my famous Skor cookies a.k.a. "Crack Cookies" as some friends like to call them.
Whole wheat flour all the way! 

Too much food!

I hope everyone has as much fun and food as I did this holiday! And I can't wait to write up some more money saving deals and tips this new year!

Eros and Pookie



No comments:

Post a Comment